I'll chime in. In the P2P world, O(log^2 N) may not be efficient, but it may be the cheapest in terms of resources. For instance, a walker may take a while to find a resource in a small world topology, but it expends little effort at each node. Conversely, to attain fewer hops, that also means a larger resource at each node to index and process the index queries. There are also ways to use the hubs in such networks to greatly improve efficiency.

The small world is also not necessarily the complete network or only topology available to an application. The number of hops in a search is not the same as a the number of hops that may be applied to communications. Thus even when one part is inefficient, the other may be ideal.