On Sunday, April 02, 2006 David Barrett wrote:
> ..."how do you measure how much bandwidth is currently being wasted
> by other applications, and then only use that amount"?

        My understanding is that the only realistic approach is to make
your ramping up less aggressive than other streams (which basically
means "less aggressive than TCP"), and that will automatically make
your traffic utilize the full bandwidth in the absence of other data
transfers, and shrink back when other transport (mail, Web, etc) use
the connection. Basically, the idea is that you don't have to measure;
you just use whatever's left.

        I believe Dijjer might be doing something like that with its
GAIMD approach, though I'm not sure. I mean, in principle GAIMD should
allow you to achieve that, but I don't know whether Dijjer actually
does use it this way, or just tries to exactly simulate the normal TCP
ramping up, in which case it simply does not kill the concurrent TCP
streams, but does not shrink back in their presence. Their description
of being "TCP friendly" is a bit ambiguous on that.

        And of course, Amicima might be doing something similar, but
I'm not sure whether it is GAIMD-based or not. Again, their site is
ambiguous here, and all the details seem to be mostly in the code - if
there is any document that clearly describes their backoff and ramping
up strategies, I must have missed it. Matthew, do you have such a
description somewhere?

        Best wishes -
        S.Osokine.
        2 Apr 2006.