Two reminders: (1) you gotta keep in mind where the bottlenecks are, and
(2) network usage is bursty.

So (1): TCP flows will achieve "min-max fair share" of the bandwidth, i.e.
they will saturate a link to the maximum capacity of the bottleneck between
the source and the sink. Suppose you have:

                              ------------ D ------ F
A ---- B ---- C -----<
                              ------------ E

Suppose DF is the bottleneck, and AB has 6 Mb bandwidth. Flow A-F might
consume somewhere between 0.5 DF to 1 DF on AB. The AE will have
plenty of bandwidth left over.

On (2): Suppose there is an AF flow, with the bottleneck link at [EMAIL PROTECTED] The flow
will not be consuming bandwidth constantly - there will be bursts of activity.
AIM may not have anything to send most of the time. When it does, it will
likely slow-start to bottleneck capacity pretty quickly. Another flow, say AE,
should get 5.9 Mb by bursting to 6 Mb when the link is free, and throttling to
3Mb when there is competition. So achieving 5.9 depends on the "over time"
behavior of the protocol as opposed to how it shares the bandwidth "over space."

So that's two different scenarios where there would be unused capacity on the link.
I think I summarized David's scenario accurately.

Cheers,
Bob.

On 4/3/06, Matthew Kaufman <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
David Barrett:
> Um... most connections aren't saturated 24x7.  Like, I have a
> 6Mbps connection and sometimes I'm just using AIM.  In this
> situation, I'd like to measure that 5.9Mbps is free.

5.9Mbps is free to where?

I'll bet that 5.9 Mbps isn't even free to the first IP hop you see, much of
the time.

What really matters is how much bandwidth is available between you *and the
source or sink you are trying to communicate with*

Matthew Kaufman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.amicima.com