> There's an interesting discussion on
> [EMAIL PROTECTED], which echoes my J2EE experience:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/general%40jakarta.apache.org/msg03376.html

Good stuff.  My experiences have also been similar: simple Java stuff works
very well, and the fancy distributed automagic stuff that sounds like it
would be slow usually is.  The obvious truth here is that if you do a lot of
slow things (RPC) your system will be slow.  This is why I see vendors going
to lots of trouble to make sure that their "distributed object" systems try
to only call objects in the same JVM.  (And they brag about this as a
feature!)  Web systems are fairly easy to scale with dirt simple
load-balancing techniques, so why waste effort on the distributed route?
It's cool, but it's not good for much.

Probably not a popular sentiment on this list, but if I read one more
whitepaper about how someone's N-tier distributed-cache No-SQL-required
point-and-click "solution" has great scalability even though it takes 5
seconds to display a simple page, I'm gonna hurl.

- Perrin