[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> With iplanet shipping free with Solaris 9, and the availability of JBoss,
> the cost of the app Server software is removed from the equation of
> 'costs'.

If you're using the free stuff, you're in the minority.  Most companies
use WebLogic or WebSphere, with a few using iPlanet and even fewer using
Oracle.  The company I work for now uses ATG Dynamo, which is priced so
high it makes the hardware sound cheap.

This is not a complaint about J2EE, but rather about managers who insist
on spending millions of dollars rather than using free or low-cost
alternatives like JBoss, Resin, and Orion.  This attitude seems to be
the norm among most big companies using Java.

To make this at least slightly relevant to this list, I see Perl's value
in these situations as being ease of use, speed of development, quality
of support, and source code availability.  The price is just gravy.

- Perrin