> To make this at least slightly relevant to this list, I see Perl's value

> in these situations as being ease of use, speed of development, quality
> of support, and source code availability.  The price is just gravy.

Pursuing the 'relevance' a bit... I agree with the speed of development.
Perl by far surpasses any language I've worked with in that area and is
the biggest reason why a P5EE concept has merit.  While I agree that the
quality of support is unsurpassed, this is still a huge barrier in the
Corps. eye.  It see's any piece of code as IP, and that posting some code
in order to receive some assistance as a potential threat.  In fact one of
the reasons why Java gets the nod over Perl is that the class files and
the other architectural abstractions of J2EE are seen as IP protections. I
have pointed out that through the use of apache Mod-perl modules a similar
level of abstraction can be created.  This approach seems to be more
attractive, but there are still so many other hurdles that it alone cannot
get Perl to Enterprise status as an Architecture.

Perrin Harkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
06/06/2002 11:37 AM