* Perrin Harkins ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> However, J2EE is mostly used for server-side web
> development, and that's what I was talking about.  There's no need for
> any distributed object technology there about 99% of the time.

This is probably as good a place as anywhere for this conversation ...

I was talking to a TA from Accenture recently about Perl, mod_perl and
Java and he told me that some java application server (i forgot to ask
him which) could maintain less JDBC connections than http session
handling threads and share them between the threads as needed without
prior knowledge of wheter or not the thread needed to do DB work. Is
there an equivalent way to do this with mod_perl? To my knowledge,
which may be wrong, there isn't[1].

Greg

[1] Of course you can design your application to only have a db handle
on the processes likely to do db, or else come up with some 3 tier
architecture if you really can't determine in advance and its going to
a small percentage of a large number of processes that end up doing
db, or else some redirect or 3-tier architecture, etc, etc..

--
Greg McCarroll                         http://www.mccarroll.org.uk/~gem/
                                   jabber:[EMAIL PROTECTED]