Hello,

Now that Golden week is over and I have more time, I'll continue.

In the Message;

  Subject    : Re: [packman] Kodi 21.0 Omega - Update against sound issues on
Leap
  Date & Time: Thu, 2 May 2024 10:59:19 +0200

[MH] == Manfred Hollstein <manfre...@gmx.net> has written:

MH>  Moin,

MH>  let me ask one question first: did kodi-21 from Packman work for you at
MH>  all? If so, when did the problem start?

Good question.

Thepackman kodi worked with --audio-backend=pulseaudio as well as my
own build of kodi.

The reason I did not notice the problem until now is that I only
started kodi when I had a problem with a build, fixed it, and built
it, and then checked if there was a problem.

In other words, I started building at the request of a now deceased
friend, and after he passed away, Icontinue to build just to see how
the video and sound codecs is doing.

I can understand the idea of turning a PC into a multimedia machine,
but I'm not interested.

MH>  Please find further stuff below.

MH>  On Thu, 02 May 2024, 02:02:35 +0200, Masaru Nomiya wrote:
[...]
MN> > I can't understand what you are talking about.

MH>  I asked you to go to

MH>    https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues

MH>  and click on "New issue" in which you describe your current problem. As
MH>  I don't have that problem, I cannot do it for you. Note, if you don't
MH>  already have a Github account, you must create one before.

I've found the cause.

I found a problem with the pipedwire configuration, fixed it, and
everything works fine.

But it is strange that the fix in pipedwire-pluse cured the
problem....

MN> > Do you understand what your proposal is?

MH>  I don't understand your question?

Why do you want users to add --audio-backend=pulseaudio?

[...]
MH>    1. /usr/bin/pulseaudio is installed
MH>    2. /usr/bin/pipewire is installed
MH>    3. /usr/bin/pipewire-pulse is NOT installed

MH>  If all three items are true, we will not get any sound unless we
MH>  explicitly force kodi to use "--audio-backend=pulseaudio". If one item
MH>  is not true, we don't force anything.

As I wrote in a previous email, you are right, in the case of the
pilseaido system, --audio-backend=pulseaudio must be added.

But Tumbleweed, as you know, is not a pulseaudio system, but a
pipewire system, and --audio-backend=pulseaudio is to make the kodi
sound via pipewire-pulse. Does it make sense?
I think it's rather unnecessary.

MH>  BTW, if kodi-21 worked for you once, but not now, you could remve the "if
MH>  [ ... ] fi" statement above from the /usr/bin/kodi script (lines 193 to
MH>  200) and test again, please. This was the only change in
MH>  kodi-21.0-1699.3.pm.1.x86_64.  If it still crashes, the reason is
MH>  something else caused by your concrete installation.

MH>  Another test would be to start with Kodi's default settings. For this
MH>  you should move your existing configuration to a safe place, followed by
MH>  starting kodi to see if that works or still crashes:

[..]
MN> > It still works, but installing pulseaudio instead of
MN> > pipewire-pulseaudio is not in line with the basic idea of pipewire
MN> > development, is it?

MH>  I'm not a pipewire developer, so I don't know. I just try to figure out,
MH>  what needs to be done to make kodi work on both Tumbleweed and Leap.

As I mentioned in a previous email, in Leap, the pulseaudio system is
the default and the transition to the pipewire system is
optional.
But, in Tumbleweed, the pipewire system is the default state.
The idea that the same kodi can be used in both Leap and Tumbleweed is
quite understandable. However, the fact that it asks you to start with
--audio-backend=pul;seaudio is not....

In other words, kodi is not the only one that provides source for both
pulseaudio and pipewire, but as far as I know, there are audacious,
deadbeef, and mpd.

And, their build conditions for these are the same as for kodi, and
pulseaudio is compatible with both pipewire and kodi.

That is, it is up to the builders to decide whether to support
pulseaudio or pipewire. I found that audacious, deadbeef, and mpd all
support puseaudio on Leap, and pipewire on Tumbleweed.
I think kodi should do the same, shouldn't you?

BTW, I have question.

The packman kodi can't display videos;

  1. codec is h264

  2. codec is rv40

My kodi plays fine, but are these specifications?

Best Regards.

---
┏━━┓彡   Masaru Nomiya                    mail-to: nomiya @ lake.dti.ne.jp
┃\/彡