You are correct that glue has matured through the years, and
MemGluePtrNew is a more recent addition (2002). But, PalmOSGlue has
been around since before 2000.

But the question isn't about back then, it's about now. Glue's been a
part of 68K developing on Palm for many years, and glue is the way
much gets done.

ARM development is certainly different, but that's not what we're
talking about. The question is most likely not about ARM, but 68K
development, so the documented glue libraries certainly apply and are
quite useful.

BTW, Palm is not new to me nor am I new to Palm. I started with Palm
back in June of 1996 and spent 6 years with the company  (then US
Robotics, later bought by 3COM and finally spun off as Palm), and have
been involved in some form or another since.

On 6/21/07, Aaron Ardiri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 6/21/07, Jeff Loucks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Beg to differ.
>
> Glue APIs have been a part of the Palm OS offering since at least OS
> 3.5. They are neither unsupported nor undocumented. You'll find them
> documented right along with the other APIs. Yes, they require you to
> include a static library in your link, but there's nothing difficult
> or unsupported about that.
>
> They aren't your standard trap based API, but they are still APIs.
> They are routines that you call that wrap earlier APIs in a way that
> makes them more useful, updated with new or extended features and
> usually backward compatible.

you are a newbie. :)

some of us still remember programming the original palm os 1.0
with monochrome screens and a 32k dynamic heap.

Glue was introduced because all of us had our own "glue" hacks.
it was also common that Glue API's would be released too late,
so we all still had to have our own versions.

palmsource also only provided Glue libraries for 68K.

my current palm applications are written in ARM natively, there
is no MemGluePtrNew available for me in ARM - so in order to
reproduce the API, its important to know how it is defined and
what the basic concepts are behind it.

#define memNewChunkFlagAllowLarge 0x1000

it was an internal use flag, you wont find it in any headers.

we were using it is 2001+
http://news.palmos.com/read/messages?id=93048#93048

MemGluePtrNew was introduced very late
http://www.mail-archive.com/palm-dev-forum@news.palmos.com/msg75924.html

i have PalmOSGlue.h from Palm OS SDK 5.0 (111823) and
MemGluePtrNew is not defined there.  so now you know why
we had to write our own.. i think it was added 5.x+

granted, all new developers.. they are being handed all our
problems in a nice little package to make life easier for them :)

--
// Aaron Ardiri

[Jeff Loucks]