if your user data is being stored in a central database, your going to have
to choose a "conduit" development product in addition to an application
development product.
there are several out there. pick one that, first, meets your business
requirements, and second, allows you to use your preferred language (VB, C).
money always seems to factor into these things, but you'll need to calculate
the cost of the IDE and any runtime distribution fees for yourself.