> The first four bytes are 00 01 00 00
>
> The last two bytes look like the beginning of my structure (an Int16 that
> would expect to be 0 in this case)... the 5th byte is the beginning of a
> character string, also expected.
>
> These first two bytes evaluate to a 1 .. is that the version number?

Yup. The 68K is big endian, so the bytes 0x00 and 0x01 together form the
word 0x0001 = 1. (In the alternative little-endian world, the bytes 0x00 and
0x01 would form the word 0x0100 = 256.)

I'd guess that you used a version number of 1 in your PrefSetAppPreferences
call at some point in the past, and that's when the session got created.
-
Danny