>In Summary... unless someone can tell me why the call:
>
>Int16 pv = PrefGetAppPreferences('MYID', 0, &RegPrefs, &wSize, true);
>
>might return to me something OTHER than 0 or -1 (noPreferencesFound)...

Do you have an old version of the docs?  The 4.0 docs say the following
about the return value:
   Returns the version number of the retrieved preference resource,
   or returns the constant noPreferenceFound if the preference
   resource wasn't found. Note that the returned version number is
   the same version number that was passed into the
   PrefSetAppPreferences function.

So... I bet when you save the prefs, you specify version 1.  If you don't
think you're saving any prefs, well... double-check all your code, and also
check that you don't have another app saving prefs under the same creator
ID.

-David Fedor
Palm, Inc.