For those that are interested, I have been able to write
a few bytes to my M500 over USB using the code below.

I have had "more correct" results with the Handspring
version (which I have documented in the handspring-forum).
Anyway, maybe this will help someone who can then
take this further...

(I'm using CPP Builder 5 and the 98DDK)

GB

// Cheating method, ... get the guid from regedit.

// Stolen via Regedit.exe:
#define  symbolLinkName
"\\\\.\\0000000000000034#{a5dcbf10-6530-11d2-901f-00c04fb951ed}\\PIPE04"

HANDLE deviceH = INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE;
BOOL           success;
unsigned long        nBytes;
BULKUSB_CONNECTION_INFO info;
char buf[32] = "your data here";

// Open the device to make sure it is available.
deviceH = CreateFile(symbolLinkName,
                     GENERIC_READ|GENERIC_WRITE,
                     FILE_SHARE_READ|FILE_SHARE_WRITE,
                     NULL,             // no SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES structure
                     OPEN_EXISTING,    // No special create flags
                     0,                // No special attributes
                     NULL);            // No template file

if(deviceH == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE)
   return;

// Check if the device has a connection open  >>THIS FAILS!
success = DeviceIoControl(deviceH,
                          IOCTL_BULKUSB_GET_CONNECTIONS,
                          &info,
                          sizeof(info),
                          &info,
                          sizeof(info),
                          &nBytes,
                          NULL);

//if(success)  >>SEND DATA ANYWAY (works!)
   success = WriteFile(deviceH, buf, strlen(buf), &nBytes, NULL);

CloseHandle(deviceH);