I hadn't actually intended to respond to the original msg, but since it has
continued I guess I will.

I don't really have a problem w/ honest criticism.  Palm certainly _is_ a
bit slow on the enhancement track.  HOWEVER ... Mr, Davis' message was and
is almost certainly more intended as flame-bait, to judge by it's tone.  To
begin with, the subject line (I hate to say I told you so) is BS -- he
certainly seems to enjoy it thoroughly in the body of the msg.

His tone is not one of warning, but more that of a kindergartener saying
"nyah nyah" when someone he doesn't like is getting his comeuppance.

Finally, I am not entirely certain I agree w/ his analysis.  Palm has had
wireless longer than just about anybody ... how well did the VII do in the
market?  What about color?  Even sticking w/ Palm and not going to the
licensees we have the IIIc and the 505.  Finally, even sound is really not
that much in demand for a PDA.  It is a cute novelty, but even the people I
know who have a WinCE device don't use the gimmicky little audio memo
feature.

Memory.  Battery life.  Ease of use.  Speed.  Those are what Palm has
focussed on, and they've done a pretty good job. They're adding the rest as
they can.  A bit slower than some of us think they should, perhaps, but
they're adding them.

I think the next generation w/ the ARM processor is going to address a lot
of the horsepower issues.  With that horsepower will come the ability to
play MP3s (if you really want to waste that much of your memory on them ...)
Wireless will probably remain a high-end option (unless Bluetooth finally
takes off).  Color is, of course, necessary in the future models.  I don't
really think it will be long before B&W is no longer offered.

So yes, Jeremy, I _don't_ like Mr. Davis' tone.  And if you want people to
seriously consider what you are saying, that is something you have to take
into account.

--
-Richard M. Hartman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

186,000 mi/sec: not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

"Jeremy Neal Kelly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> And how much does this amazing Palm of yours cost? How many different
> vendors must you buy from to assemble it? How much expertise must you have
> to get it running?
>
> Get a clue. You might dislike Mr. Davis' tone, but is there no merit at
all
> to what he's saying? Do you think the huge growth in Pocket PC sales is
some
> sort of anomaly?
>
> You are, as you put it, "a monkey's uncle" -- specifically, one of the
> hear-no-see-no-speak-no-evil variety. Some users and developers have the
> sense to view the Palm for what it is: a tool, one with shortcomings and
> flaws that can and should be fixed. Other more fanatical users prefer to
> view the Palm as some sort of ideology. If this attitude does not change,
> Palm will become the Macintosh of the PDA world. That might sound good to
> some developers, but I suspect the rest of us had something better in
mind.

> "Jeremy Griffith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >
> > Well, lets take a quick look at Handspring.
> >
> > 1)  I believe there is a device called a Visor Prism...Well, I'll be a
> > monkey's uncle, they DO have color.
> > 2)  They have the "VisorPhone"...Well again, I'm still a monkey's uncle,
> > they have a cell-phone.
> > 3)  Hmm...If I combine 1 & 2 guess what I have???  I have a color Palm
> Cell
> > Phone.
> > 4)  InnoGear makes the MiniJam MP3 player.  I would say MP3s tend to
> qualify
> > as "sound".
> > 5)  Xircom makes the Springport Ethernet Module.  This gives any Visor
the
> > full function of a Wireless 802.11b network connection.  Does this fit
> your
> > definition of Wireless?
> > 6)  Storage devices are abundant for Visors.  These tend to be "file
> > oriented" for those users that cannot get out of the "File" world.
> >
> > Michael, I'm only scratching the surface of one take-off of Palm.  You
> might
> > want to do a little more research before blabbing bad about Palm in a
Palm