Agus Silas wrote:

> > What kind of application are you writing ?
>
> Actually the application I wrote works fine using the data chanel of
> GSM to transmit GPS position from mobiles to a base. It's sort of
> "point to point" communication. The problem is that the time needed to
> establish a data connection is pretty long, the average is 25 secs,
> plus 5 secs to transmit data (80 bytes) and get the answer (80 bytes),
> another 5 secs to disconnect ( Siemens MT35 GSM modem ) before I can
> call another mobile... So, for 10 mobiles I  won't be able to recall
> the first before at least 5 minutes, which is too long...
> Since GPRS allows me to have a permanent connection this will
> eliminate the connection time. That's why we are looking forward to
> use GPRS. We still haven't decided if we are going to use a navigator
> or adapting our actual Palm application to run on GPRS layer instead
> of GSM (although GPRS use GSM).

Yes, with GSM you have some fixed delay for Connection and Hangup, you can
avoid some time with GPRS, but remember that you will always have some
connection delay due to autentication.

BTW, how do you plan to connect your different devices using GPRS?
IIRC you can't do a direct connection, but you have to connect to your telco
having back a dynamic IP (that can change, changing the GPRS cell you are
in). Then you can use TCP/IP to connect to the others devices.
With this scenario you have to keep somewhere a list of the IP of all the
connected devices... and this seems a lot different from you current
solution.

> All advises are welcomed... I use CodeWarrior V8.3 and I just
> downloaded SDK 5.0

U R Welcome

Ciao

--