It's "news" simply because Metrowerks told us that nothing was set in
concrete when V9 was released for Windows only (though we all had a feeling
in our guts right?) and that we should write to them and state our case very
nicely. They gave us some hope that we could change things...

These comments came from MW Ron shortly after CW9 was announced, outlining
the notion that there was always a chance.
I am not commenting much on this issue. I've already spent a lot of effort internally on this, and there's nothing that I can do to change this now.

However, I will say that we were still strongly considering doing a Mac OS version through mid-January and we looked at several different scenarios for doing support. I spent time looking at all the components in V9, checking to see if they could be rebuilt on OS X easily or if not, how much effort it would be to port it over. I went to our management with these estimates, and we looked at the effort required versus our sales trends, marketing data, and engineering costs. We looked at other ideas, like reducing features or bundling the Palm OS tools with other products, but in the end, it just wasn't possible to make a case for continuing the Mac OS-hosted tools for Palm OS that made any business sense.

We did not lie when we said it was a possibility. This decision wasn't made until the middle of January, and until then, I thought that it could happen. We did the analysis, tested that hypothesis, and it took until now for the company to work through out system to get a statement sent out to people who had asked about support.

--
Ben Combee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CodeWarrior for Palm OS technical lead