At 03:53 AM 2/19/2004, you wrote:
No-one has yet answered my question, though, and you should be able to.
Why is cygwin required to **use** prc-tools? Do the tools rely on it
internally?

cygwin provides DLLs that emulate most of the Unix OS calls and standard library, things used internally by the GCC source code. The current Win32 versions are built against the cygwin DLLs to provide the Unix-to-Win32 compatibility layer.

Could prc-tools be built using an alternate library, like http://www.mingw.org/? Perhaps -- they build their own GCC and GDB using the MinGW tools, but prc-tools is more than GCC and GDB, it also includes build-prc and modifications to the above. AFAIK, no one has done the work to try this yet.

Outside prc-tools, the only other Cygwin tools used by the new developer suite are GNU make and sed. I know GNU make and GNU sed are supported by MinGW. However, even if prc-tools was ported to use that library, that wouldn't really affect much. Both Cygwin and MinGW make choices that change the Win32 way-of-doing-things into something that looks more Unix-like.