Thanks for the reply.

Since your target is a m125 use only the Emulator (POSE 3.5) with a corresponding ROM. You can even download the ROM from your m125 and use that. Instructions are in the POSE documentation. P.S. My guess is that the speed on a real m125 is not going to be very fantastic ;-).

My expectation is that an m125 will probably be too slow to actually be usable with the app ... so it isn't actually the intended target. It does allow me to do tests, but most of the development is taking place using emulators/simulators. The app assumes a reasonably modern device with more than minimal memory, and an expansion card (such as SD)

For emulating expansion memory in POSE see the POSE documentation. You obviously have not read all of it yet ;-).
Here is an on-line reference:
http://www.palmos.com/dev/support/docs/emulator/Emulator_Running.html#972536

Thanks for the link ... I'm aware of this topic (Emulating Expansion Memory) but I haven't been able to get it to work for some reason (no doubt inexperience and ignorance on my part). I've dropped HostFS_emulator.prc (2002-Mar-21) on the 3.5 emulator and it seemed to install ok.

However when I try the emulator "Settings" + "HostFS" and specify a root path of C:\Temp\ to Slot #1 (with the mounted checkbox on or off), I get the error message:
"In order to make use of the information specified in this dialog, you
Need to have installed HostFS.prc. You can download this file from the
Palm OS Emulator download Web page:
<http://www.palmos.com/dev/tech/tools/emulator/>

Is there a more current HostFS_emulator.prc?

How do you do the equivalent with Simulator 5.x?