Roderich Schupp schrieb:
On 11/5/06, Steffen Mueller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The thought occurred to me that we might solve this problem by appending
the required modules to a stripped-down copy of parl.exe just before

I just did a little experiment (on Linux, but should work on Windows, too)
and stripped my /usr/bin/parl and /usr/bin/parldyn. This gets rid of all
the embedded FILE stuff in there (because it is simply appended to the
executable, i.e non-existent w.r.t to "strip"). I then pp'ed a hello
world example...
and it works :)

I verified that running the executable doesn't load anything
from outside /tmp/par-USER. Also, my "extract the embedded stuff"
script shows that the embedded stuff (e.g. Scalar/Util.pm) is still packed in
and that is from the running system (because I added a tell-tale line
to  Scalar/Util.pm beforehand) and NOT from the time when PAR was build.

Now the only stuff left in parl is the perl58 DLL (because it is not
embedded, but compiled in). So for the prototypical-packed-executable aspect
of parl, we can just leave out the embedded stuff. But parl may also work
as a standalone loader (no perl or modlues required) for PAR archives,
that wouldn't work with the stripped version anymore. Hence we should split
parl into two entities.

I experimented a little, too. What I did first was to just copy "static" over "parl". I also tried to "strip" parl. Neither of them picked up the system's Scalar::Utils during packaging.

What did you do to make it work?

Steffen