Hi Jean-Noel,

Thank you very much for the assistance. I was able to retrieve the camera data and use it in my filter.

For everyone else here is the working block of code to get camera data directly.
pqView *view = 0;
pqActiveObjects* tempInstance = &( pqActiveObjects::instance() );
view = tempInstance->activeView();
vtkCamera* camera = vtkSMRenderViewProxy::SafeDownCast( view->getViewProxy() )->GetActiveCamera();

-Alex