Sometime last year I derided the Pan Africanist Youth Congress NEC for
failing to tackle matters of interest to the youth and the public at
large. At that point I even questioned PAYCO ‘s legitimacy to challenge
the incompetence of the current PAC leadership under President Mphahlele.
I stated at the point that it would be difficult for PAYCO to claim any
level of seriousness in challenging the inadequacies in the party if it
was itself not occupying the centre-stage. In that deliberately abrupt
discussion I stated that whilst the matter of leadership was a critical
problem, the need to deal with other national external political issues
was just as sacrosanct. My view was that the ills of leadership in the
party had been adequately canvassed on record. I was seeing a PAYCO that
was as silent on national matters as the PAC was. At the risk of
attracting animosity from my own organization (PAYCO) which I have had the
honour of serving as President, I said unless they immediately take
centre-stage they will just like the PAC NEC become a non starter.

Today I write to congratulate PAYCO for the work well done and carried
over the past months. That discussion was not in futility and I now have
the comfort that my comments were taken for what they were, and engaged
with constructively. Indeed the comments were by me, an ordinary member
and supporter of both the PAC and PAYCO conversing with my leaders, the
PAYCO President and his team. I am glad that I was not met with the usual
reaction that ‘it does not matter, we are in charge.’

PAYCO, unlike the still-born computer-bound paycl, has taken the centre
stage commenting and stating its position on every national issue in and
outside of the PAC. That is great work. I am of the feel that our place
and being is beginning to gain some respect both in the media and by other
political parties alike. PAYCO has not cowed from tackling even the ruling
party and its youth league, occupying the space that the PAC itself could
as well have occupied.

You need to accelerate on this path, you are doing well and deserve the
support by all of us including that of the mother-body and the President
in particular. You have taken space on both print and electronic media.
You also continue with hard party programs including the revival of the
organization throughout the country.

I will not repeat my views on the performance of the PAC NEC because my
these are known and that the performance is itself nakedly clear for all
to see. In the midst of this disappointment I have taken solace in PAYCO,
my soul and courage re-invigorated. Perhaps now that you are performing we
will have capacity and legitimacy to ask the questions, including
questions such as what the impact of money, parliamentarism and
councillorship is on self professed radicals.

Linda and the team, you are doing well, and I hope soon you will receive
acknowledgement from President Mphahlele and the ever courageous but
perhaps yet to mature Mr N Moloto.

Many Thanks

Matome Mashao