Your computer will record to wav format by default, but you can choose what format the recording is rendered to when it is saved.

I suggest that you choose to save your recording as an MP3, with a bit depth of at least 192 KBPS, and a sampling rate of 44100HZ. I tend to use 192 KBPS or higher for all my music.

The optimum would be 256 KBPS, because it's still pretty small, but it is very difficult for the human ear to pick up the compression errors at that bit depth. You might notice that something isn't quite right at 192 KBPS, but that's usually only on high frequency sounds like symbols etc.

Bit depths like 160, 128 and 112 KBPS are really not all that great for music.

If you choose to store your music in the Ogg format, you can choose a bit depth of say, 128 KBPS, or even 112 KBPS, because OGG quality is better than MP3 at lower bit depths.

You should remember however, that whatever format you choose in the end, you must make sure that everything is set to stereo when you save your recording! So many times I've recorded something, and forgotten that my last recording was a mono one, and I've gone and saved my lovely stereo recording as a mono one and had to start all over again!

Anyway, hope all that helps:

Regards,

Matt

---