I would imagine that's the best obtainable but the problem is that those
programmes that rely on the GUI version of LAME (LAME.ENC.DLL) think its
called, will most likely not be able to use all the settings which allow
extra processing, if your ripper allows the use of the LAME command line
utility (LAME.EXE) then you'll be far better off as you can customise the
encoder for all the latest options, Exact Audio Copy and Easy CD DA
Extractor are 2 rippers I know of which allow the use of external compressors.