Kevin, the sound quality varies with the selection you make. In the screen which is fourth in the five that are listed across the top: show, tuning, schedule, sound and record (snot really sure about the order or names of the last two), is the place to choose sound quality. A M and A M-stereo are to be avoided. MP3 28MB per hour is the first decent choice and the next couple above that are better. One can record directly to WAV files but I haven't tried that so can't say how that comes out. I recommend avoiding the "compress speech" option as it tends to distort a bit. This could probably be compensated for by decreasing the volume, but I haven't experimented with that yet. When you get more comfortable with the program, you may want to download and install the enhanced sound card driver which captures stuff before it hits the sound card and so avoids recording any system noises or software speech. The place that affects outcome most is record volume. There is a preset which I think sets volume at about 50 per cent. This works fine for most stations, but others tend to come up either too soft or too loud thus distorting. Unfortunately, most of these problems are not product specific and occur with other recording packages. I haven't used this for alternative uses as with a microphone, turntable or the like, but for streams, it has served me very well. I rarely use it for music, however, so can't say how when maximally set it would compare to other programs designed for recording music.
I use it mainly to regularly schedule and record several shows some of which I put in from the options offered and a couple I entered manually. I am pleased with being able to start the program minimize it, and know that the programs will be captured when they come on and I can hear them at my leisure. I am not fond of the player part of the program and tend to listen to shows in winamp. Write if I can be of any help or just for moral support. I will admit that though I have no trouble with the program, others I have seen on the lists seem to. I suspect this is in part because more authoritative list members push other products which which they are most comfortable.
Ron Denis