Jim,
In case you are using Windows 98, here are some thoughts on what you may
need to do to get TRworking optimally.

First, I know of no way to use TR with software speech on an older OS,
though for me it works fine with XP without Eloquence sounds bleeding through or causing conflicts. Another difference i found between 98 and XP is that in 98 i always had to have Total Recorder up and running before accessing the stream. There seems to be a conflict with the Total Recorder driver used for recording streams and Winamp, possibly the other audio players as well. if this is true you will get an error message that another driver is accessing your sound card or something like that. The best workaround for me involved switching to the Direct Sound under output plugins in Winamp. The Wavout plugin is the default but it does not always coexist peacefully with the TR driver. in order to record, your sound card or mixer settings need to go through total recorder and for Winamp to work you must be sure that it is going through your sound card and not the Microsoft sound mapper. When switching between chat clients such as Ivocalize and Winamp or Total Recorder, I found it necessary to check these settings every time and i couldn't always tell whether ivocalize or Total Recorder was the culprit. Also, your recording parameters should be set as follows;
first, go into the record source parameters dialog, and

make sure the radio button for software is checked, which it should be by default, then, if you want to convert on the fly, check the check box that says convert using specified parameters below, and then pressthe change button, and pick mpeg3 from the 13 or so formats in the combo box, and I choose 44,100 128 bit rate, and then after you get the settings the way you want, you can press apply and okay. Then, go into

options from the file menu, by right arrowing, and then pressing enter, and enter again on the settings dialog, and you should be in the system tab, which should be one of 12, and first, tab to the two radio buttons, and then select the bottom of the two, telling total recorder only to run its' driver when the program runs. Then, check both the check boxes that say use directly, press okay, and apply, and everything should be set up. Then, tab to the mp3 tab, and in there, you have to press the button to tell total recorder where to look for the lame encoder, which should be in c:\program files\lame and press open, and I think the .dll is the bottom file before you press the open button. Then you should have total recorder set up, just choose stereo from the radio buttons in that tab, and everything should be fine hope this helps. i don't have the Pro version installed so hopefully someone else can walk you through the scheduling.

Susan