Hi John
This still isn't making a lot of sense, since Sound Forge, either
demo or full version is not a player. It is a sound editor, and sound
editors do not make changes to your file types automatically.
What you should probably do is set Winamp to play all the file types
it can.  go to the preferences and ten to the file types section, and
press the all button, which will insure that Winamp will play all the
file types it can recognize. If after doing all this, sound forge
still comes up, then i would say you've got a pretty screwy system
over there. it might be time to uninstall that sound forge demo. i am
definitely shaking my head over this one.