I solved the problem by highlighting a file in my music folder, and going
in to properties.  On the general tab, there is a "change" button.  After
entering on that, you're presented with a list of applications to choose
from.  And yes, sound Forge was on the list!  I chose winamp, and now my
mp3 and wav files play in winamp, as they're supposed to.
John H