From: "Steve Matzura" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2007 8:39 PM
Subject: Re: The advantages of flak?

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 20:37:10 -0800, you wrote:

>I've been able to hear comparisons of mp3 and wma formats but not flak.  Are
>there advantages of flak over either or both of these other than some people
>believe it sounds better?  thanks

The L in FLAC stands for lossless.  Theoretically, what goes in, comes
out--that is, it's supposed to sound identical to the wave file that
sourced the FLAC archive file.  You are also supposed to be able to
decode a FLAC file and get the original wave file back.  I've never
tried this but would be keen to know if it's actually true, bit for
bit.