Ok this is my opinion for what its worth, there's a really nice
bargain-priced amp out there with surround-soung, yep its only 5.1 but
if you're looking for a genuine bargain and you're really interested
in 2 channel sound rather than really interested in rearranging your
room for surround-sound and you just want a good stereo amp (despite
the extra 5.1 affect) then take a look at the unit found at
http://www.oo.com.au/Multi_Channel_Power_Amplifier_P7417.cfm
Of course the other way you can go is to do some digging and find that
second-hand treasure for a song, too many to mention here <smile>. but
one model I like which seems to come up every so often around the
traps is the Technics SUZ11, its a very small slim line AMp and
delivers 50 watts RMS per channel, its small enough to tuck under your
arm so if you're in the habit of rearanging things or needing an amp
small enough to take to a small hall with a bit of punch then this is
the amp. Not much to rave about in the features steaks, just 3 inputs
(fono, AUX and Tuner) and 2 stereo speaker outputs (A and B) but in
the Hi-Fi game? Well sound quality comes well before features <smile>.

I personally don't believe in buying receivers, I prefer to match a
good tuner with my amp but each to their own, in the tuner steaks
there are 2 kinds, one which gives you a narrow band with good
sensitivity and the other giving you a nice wide band, great audio
quality but not so sensitive.  I have 2 different Denon tuners here
each fitting the characteristics I've just outlined but e warned, even
on the second-hand market these little beauties fetch a few hundred
dollars and their FM quality is truly outstanding.

As a final thought, if I were going to go for a receiver and I wasn't
at all too concerned about surround-sound? Well give the Denon AVR2000
a look over, fetches about $300.00 on the second-hand market but I've
seen them go higher in price, a truly outstanding 5.1 receiver with 80
watts RMS per channel (that includes the 2 rear channels) and an
excellent wide band tuner.

Did I answer any of your questions? Probably not, I just rambled
<smile>.

On 02/09/2008, at 8:38 AM, Sunshine wrote:

> what are some of the best  in the above subject line?
> brand names and prices and where i can find them
> thanks
>
> Jonathan Mosen List Founder

Dane Trethowan
 From Melton Victoria Australia
mailto:Dane Trethowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
phone +61 3 9005 8589
Fax/TTY +61 3 9743 7954
mobile/sms: +614 418 773 532
MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]