Is it possible that you tried the Stream's MP3 capabilities before they
added independent bass and treble control for music? The Stream was
designed first and foremost as a book reader, and its music capabilities
are kind of a work in progress. You won't find a better player anywhere
for Audible content, there are the NLS books (applicable for Americans
only), its DAISY capabilities are second to none, and for something so
small, the voice recorder feature is absolutely fantastic. It's not
everyone's answer, of course, people have different needs depending on
geography, lifestyle, and financial considerations, but it is one answer
that has worked and does work for many.

bruce

--
Bruce Toews