Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 11:38 PM
Subject: Friend Needs Help With Sound Card

Please forgive the cross post, but we are trying to help a young lady
with a sound card we don't know anything about, and are hoping to find
someone on one of these two lists who might be able to assist.

.  It is the Soundmax HD Audio card, and came with her Dell desktop
computer.  She knows little about the machine, but would like to
participate in audio chats.

We are working by phone and she is in another city/State, so we're
flying blind, no pun intended.
We have followed all the usual procedures for a Windows sound card, but
so far nothing is obvious.  We believe the mic is muted, and can't
figure out how to unmute it.  There are two checkboxes whose checked or
unchecked status we don't understand, and there appears to be a rear
speaker recording capability as well.  There appear to be jacks both on
the front and rear, and she's not sure which is which.  She says the mic
was plugged in at Wal-Mart, but she has not attempted to do anything
with it herself.  Dave did have her check the mic and uncheck the rear
speaker, but this did no good.  She had sound coming out of her
speakers, but Dave was able to help her silence it.

This is all the information I can offer, so hope it will be enough to
give this lady some help.  It appears she received the computer system
with little instruction.

Thanks in advance.

Pam

Jonathan Mosen List Founder