Thanks, Pam; I agree.
Amie

-----Original Message-----
From: pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org]
On Behalf Of PamDrake
Sent: 14 August 2009 19:21
To: 'PC Audio Discussion List'
Subject: Replying To Questions: Was RE: Woodstock commemoration

Amie and List,

I thought about posting privately but decided to post here in case there are
new people on board who might be interested in the answer.  Apologies to the
veteran listers among us.

This is my personal opinion.  When I ask a question and get a ton of "I
don't know but you can try this" messages it frustrates me.  There is one
other list which I will not name where a lister I will not name is
constantly launching into his ideas about what blind people don't know,
should know, and what he sees is the problem with such questions, often
after stating he doesn't know the answer.

I, for one, try to work out my problems and if I ask for help it is likely
that I haven't been able to figure out the answer.  The last thing I want is
a lecture on how I may not have tried hard enough or how we as a class need
more training.  Some people think this is fine and serves as a learning tool
but I for one often don't ask because I don't want to deal with this person.
Some people have written me privately because they also don't want to get
into this kind of discussion.  That's another option: when in doubt you
might want to write privately to the questioner.  How to do this may depend
on what e-mail program you're using.

I would rather just let the question go by without answering if I don't know
the answer, or at least be sure that if I give a possible answer I label it
as a possibility that has a good chance of success.

Also, I changed the subject line here because the subject no longer had
anything to do with the Woodstock discussion.  This is also considered good
procedure on mailing lists because the reader can tell whether or not the
message he/she is about to open really is related to the subject line.  We
all forget this little piece of good conduct now and then.

Hope this helps.

Pam