I wouldn't assume that APH or any reseller catering to the blind is going to sell something for less than a general public can buy something. A quick search with Google showed me places where I could get a USB extension cable for $.69, $1.99 and $2.29, just to name a few. That being said, if I were to buy a blank NLS cartridge, and I didn't already have a USB extension cable (note that I already have a few just lying around because they came free with different MP3 players, USB sticks and so on) then I would just go ahead and order one from APH the same time I ordered the NLS cartridge. This would be for convenience though and not because the APH is able to sell these cheaper than a mainstream electronics supply store. Remember they're selling a 2G flash drive for $12.75, all be it in a special form factor for the NLS DTBM.

Christopher
chalt...@gmail.com <mailto:chalt...@gmail.com>

On 3/13/2010 7:19 AM, Michael D. Barber wrote:
The cartridges come from the American Printing House for the Blind and I
believe they're about $12.75.  I recommend getting the cable meant to be
used for these cartridges from the same place because I think they're less
expensive there.
I also recommend that you go to http://bardtalk.com  and sign up on that
e-mail list as I just did.  On that list, specifically dedicated to NLS
digital talking book machines, you will have access to all sorts of
information.

Michael Barber

-----Original Message-----
From: pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org]
On Behalf Of DJ DOCTOR P
Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2010 7:01 AM
To: PC Audio Discussion List
Subject: Re: DIGITAL TALKING BOOK PLAYER QUESTION

High Kevin,
I was wondering where you could get those cartridges and how much they will
cost.
But ok, I understand that you can put NLS books on them.
But how about music, can you put music files on those cartridges to as well?
It looks like it will work on any computer using the USB interface, but how
do you plug those cartridges in to your computer so you can put files on
them?
   John.