Yeh, you can store your books on an external harddrive, or any hard drive
for that matter, however to play the books on your player, you'll need to
have them on an NLS cartridge or a USB attachable drive. If your external
hard drive has a USB connection then you could plug that drive into the
player. Of course, attaching an external hard drive to the player will make
it less portable.

Note that the USB port on the player isn't officially supported by the NLS
for playing books or MP3's. This doesn't mean it doesn't work, it just means
that it isn't supported by the NLS. Also, not every thumb drive will work on
the NLS player, and that may be true for external hard drives as well.

Personally, I'd suggest getting a thumb drive or a blank NLS cartridge to
use with your player. If you don't have a thumb drive then I'd say just go
with a blank NLS cartridge. They're a little pricy for the storage you get,
but they are more convenient, and you'll know they'll work. This is the
route I went, and I've always been able to get a handful of books on the 2G
cartridge. You can copy books from your PC or your external hard drive to
the blank NLS cartridge or a thumb drive. I'd also suggest getting a cable
when you get the blank NLS cartridge. It's a standard USB extension cable,
but not every USB extension cable will work with the NLS cartridge since it
has to physically fit into the housing around the USB connector in the
cartridge.

Also, I'm not into storing my books on my PC or an external hard drive for
any length of time. I figure I can just download them again from the BARD
site if I ever want to listen to a book again.

The BARD Talk web site at http://www.bardtalk.com/ is a great resource. It
talks about which thumb drives will work with the NLS player, where to get
blank cartridges and cables, it has a getting started guide and more.

--
Christopher
chalt...@gmail.com