The Hamilton Rangemaster transmitter is considered the king of unlicensed Am
transmitters and set up with an outdoor antenna will travel up to a couple of
miles legally but costs about 8 or 9 hundred dollars.
At the low end of the price spectrum is the SStran amt3000 which can be bought
assembled for about $150 or less than one hundred in kit form.
I haven't had muchpersonal experience with AM transmission since I own a condo
and getting up an outdoor antenna here isn't allowed.