Npr was a strongforce in lobying to eliminate and/or reduce unlicensed
operations in the Us.  What happened is that commercial Fm stations as well as
Npr found that people using unlicensed transmitters with 100mw could place an
antenna very high up and get a lot of coverage without a license so the FCC was
pressured to eliminate this.