There are aspects of this than can be confusing.  However, a higher bit rate
will only be of higher
quality if the original is of a higher quality than the copy you are making.
Up-converting from a lower
quality won't necessarily improve the sound.  That doesn't mean that there are
not cases where up-
converting might not be a good idea.  For example, I just learned that I Tunes
will only store MP3's of
a certain bit-rate in the cloud.  You might have to convert a slower bit-rate
to a higher one to take
advantage of that.  In the case of YouTube, it is always hard to know from my
experience what the bit
rate of the original is.  You might want to use a faster bit-rate just to be
sure you aren't loosing
anything,.  However, using a bit rate of 320KBPS does not guarantee that what
you have is the same as
making a 320KBPS version of audio that originated on a CD that was an original
purchase.  When music is
passed around, it is only as good as the slowest bit rate in the chain.  If
someone puts a 128KBPS MP3
onto a CD, the CD version will for the mostpart faithfully reproduce the
original including any
negatives introduced by the encoder that produced the 128KBPS file.

Now, it is possible that additional distortion is introduced by whatever
decoder is playing the 128KBPS
file and that the original sounds better than it does on a specific player and
that can confuse the
issue some, but increasing the bit-rate isn't going to magically bring back
quality that was lost.  Some
of this is very subjective, though.  If you take a 128KBPS file and convert it
to a 320KBPS file and it
sounds better, it could be that you have a player that plays 320KBPS files
better.  There are variables
like this that could cause one to want all of their recordings to be at a
higher bit-rate, but it would
be incorrect to think that quality is actually being added when converting from
a lower bit-rate.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson
.