I've heard of those too, the ones that act as their own sound card. Another idea is a USB sound card if one didn't have RCA jacks or some other better kind of connection. On the Mac Book, that's how it's probably required to get a microphone in, at least when running Windows, as the only choices for input are optical or line level, and I don't think you could just get a mic with an optical output.

----- Original Message ----- From: "André van Deventer" <andred...@webafrica.org.za>
To: "'PC Audio Discussion List'" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2012 1:50 AM
Subject: RE: Powered Speakers for Editing Audio

Also it is important to remember that the sound quality will be bad if the
source is bad.  Many computer speakers works from the headphone socket of a
sound card.  If the quality of the sound card is bad the speakers will sound
bad.

There is something to be said for those speakers who have internal DACS and
use a usb interface.  At least test results sith them will be more or less
the same.