Tom,

You can rip them in the version of Windows Media Player that I use, and I think
it is the latest.  You can rip from the "Now Playing" window which is accessed
with CONTROL-3, or is probably the window that
has focus if Windows Media Player starts automatically when you put in a CD.
Some screen readers don't read the controls, though.  Another approach is to go
to the Tools and Options menu and choose the
rip tab.  You can choose which format you want them ripped to there, and you
can also check a box that will rip a cd automatically when you start Windows
Media Player.

Unfortunately, how a lot of this works depends upon your "autoplay" settings
and even your screen reader, but it's worth exploring before you get another
program.  If your screen reader doesn't read the
controls on the now playing window, NVDA should work.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson