From: Pc-audio [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org] On Behalf Of Steve
Jacobson
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2013 1:11 AM
To: PC Audio Discussion List
Subject: RE: Ripping CDs With Windows Media

Tom,

I agree with you, but there is a sort of logic to it.  If you are playing a
CD, the CD is not what is "Now Playing" because it takes precedence over
your libraries.

What happened is that you chose the WinAmp option to "Autoplay" when you put
in a CD.  You can choose what Windows 7 does automatically with all kinds of
media.  If you bring up the Start Menu, type
Autoplay into the Edit box and then use the UP and DOWN ARROW to see what
was found.  You should see a couple of Autoplay options that will help you.
You should be able to find out what will be done
when a CD is inserted and see that your current choice is Winamp.  You can
change that to Windows Media Player, or I think there is an option to have
it ask you what you want done.  You should be able to
close WinAmp and open Windows Media Player as well, but you might have to
select Audio CD or something, I have not tried that.

Also, when I just experimented, I could not get the "rip" button to show,
but I think it is because I already ripped the CD I put in and it is getting
too late for me to think clearly.  <smile>  I have ripped a CD within the
past week, though, by turning on "rip CD Automatically" so that is another
option that works.  It is in the "Tools" "options" and on the "Rip Music"
tab.  I'm curious about the "Rip" button now, though.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 00:29:08 -0500, Tom Kaufman wrote:

>Hello Steve and list:  I think I saw that "now playing" thing, but it
didn't
>sound like this was what I wanted!  Would be nice if these programs would
>say it how they mean it!  Before, there was a definite "start rip" button
>(or something that clearly indicated that this is what you wanted to do if
>you wanted to rip) in case you missed it before, am running Jaws 15 with
>Windows Home Premium.  When I first put the CD in, it gave me choices; one
>of those was "play CD using Winamp.  At the time, I wanted to hear the CD,
>so this is what I chose; problem is that, now when I put the CD in, it just
>brings up Winamp and starts playing!  There seems to be no way to get
around
>it; at least not as far as I can tell!  But thanks for your explanation and
>will try to put your instructions to use!
>Tom Kaufman

CD.
>Some screen readers don't read the controls, though.  Another approach is
>go to the Tools and Options menu and choose the
>rip tab.  You can choose which format you want them ripped to there, and
you
>can also check a box that will rip a cd automatically when you start
Windows