Well, the answer to your question is that I cannot detect any difference in audio quality, and m4a files take up close to half the space of an equivalent sounding mp3 file. This is important for storage conservation on the SD cards when playing my music on the Book Sense when I'm not at my computer. Also, the equalizer in the Book Sense actually has greater differentiation in its settings for m4a files than it does for mp3 files. I'm not sure that was intentional, but it's a fact nonetheless. So the music actually does sound better in m4a on my Book Sense than an mp3 file of the same thing. I suppose they'll "fix" that someday, but even if they do, I've saved a lot of storage space, and money buying SD cards by converting my mp3 files to m4a. So I want to keep doing it.
Evan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dane Trethowan" <grtd...@internode.on.net>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 01, 2014 6:22 PM
Subject: Re: Looking for a New mp3 to m4a Converter

Dumb question I'm sure but why do you want to convert from MP3 to M4A or AAC? Mp3 should play just as well and you're certainly not gaining anything in audio quality doing this as you're converting from 1 lossee format to another thus losing quality in the conversion anyway.

If it helps I use the Switch Audio File Converter.