Hi! This is Andrea from Australia
I have an HP Officejet 6000 scanner. This is both flat bed and automatic document. It came with a no frills version of Readiris 14. Since then I have acqauired Readiris 14 pro which is excellent at 400 DPI Grey scale. This scanner was relatively chep. I think I paid approx $140 Australian for this about 6 months ago. The other advantage of this is that it van be run via Wifi so is available to all computers here bot PC and others (Apple/Android etc).
Cheers
Andrea