I have to agree with Dane here, which might come as no surprise, since
I have always appreciated the sonic quality, if not the price, of B&W
products. I purchased a set of these a few months ago. I already had an
excellent pair of AKG Q701 phones. The only drawback with those is that
the use of a portable headphone amp with dac really helps when you're
listening via an i-device or any other portable, I would imagine. And
the cord on my AKG's is LONG, quite the opposite of the cable on the
P5s. The P5s are really outstanding, even without a preamp. I mean, who
wants to mess around with a preamp when you're out somewhere, like at
the beach or on the bus or whereever that isn't home?  I don't mind the
short cable, since I do use these exclusively with i-devices, not with
my home stereo preamp. I still love my akgs, but these p5s are
outstanding and more practical to use.

Mary