Rajiv,

Solaris Update Patch Bundles now update /etc/release to
make it easier to identify that a system has been patched
to the software level of a Solaris Update release.

Yes, I read about that before. It's also described in the "Notice Board" at http://sunsolve.sun.com/show.do?target=patches/patch-access

This only applies to the "Solaris Update Patch Bundles", which are patch bundles containing the same patch set as a Solaris Update release. This does not mean that installing such a patch bundle will bring an existing OS installation to the same state as a more recent update release, as the bundle does not include any additional packages introduced by the newer release.

How will this effect us? Can we simulate this or is this addition/change
included as a part of kernel patch or part of their wrapper?

I just looked at the README and downloaded the ZIP file for "Solaris 10 10/09 SPARC Bundle Part 1" from the above webpage. I expected the "installbundle" script to update the /etc/release file, but was wrong. Actually the bundle contains two special patches which update the file. From the README:

  The patch bundle contains the following patchs which update
  /etc/release to indicate when the patch bandle has been successfully
  installed on a system.

  sparc:
  Patch      Reason
  144401-08: Patch bundle ID patch.

  x86:
  Patch      Reason
  144402-08: Patch bundle ID patch.

This is an elegant solution: The patches have been made to "require" all other patches from the patch bundle. This ensures that they can only be installed when all bundle-patches are installed.

While the entry in /etc/release is purely cosmetic, a question springs to mind immediately: Why aren't this patches published publically, and are added to patchdiag.xref? It would do no harm, and people who want/require that, would have an easy way to prove that all patches from a certain bundle are installed.

Martin.