Rajiv Gunja wrote:
That was one of the hurdles I
met when I wanted to get php, mysql and apache on my U4 server. The SUN
package would not install, as it looked at /etc/release and did not take
into consideration that the U4 was patched to U8 level.

Oh, I didn't know that. For that using the patch from the cluster might be helpful indeed.

You update to every release? How do you handle your applications? Don't they
have to be reinstalled and data imported? Let me know. Thanks

I've got a research environment here, so there are few real production servers. The software we use for HPC gets installed via jumpstart scripts or is in a network wide /usr/local directory, data is mostly code, kept in home directories or global directories on a central server. So I'm in the lucky situation that I can re-install many machines automatically at night, and on those it's easiest to run the newest release to keep patching to a minimum.

Martin.