Charles W. Witt

From: pca-boun...@lists.univie.ac.at
[mailto:pca-boun...@lists.univie.ac.at] On Behalf Of Becktold, Lisa M.
(LARC-B7)[Chugach Federal Solutions, Inc.]
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:46 PM
To: PCA (Patch Check Advanced) Discussion
Subject: Re: [pca] Setting up PCA patch server

Charles:

Thanks for your response!

O.K., so you're creating a list of missing patches on each system and
then combining them into one master list, right?  And then you're
downloading the patches in the master list to the patch server?

I'm having a hard time getting my head around the fact that pca is very
system-dependent.

For example, if I run "pca -y -d /patches" on my patch server, pca will
analyze which patches are missing on the patch server and download only
those to the /patches directory.

However, that /patches directory may not contain patches that are
missing on other systems.

Is there any way to tell pca to download ALL of the patches in the
recommended patch cluster, whether the system needs it or not?

Could I use the "allrs" option to download all Recommended and Security
patches?  Is this equivalent to downloading the recommended security
patch cluster?

Admittedly, this isn't a very time and space efficient way of
initializing the patch server - your approach would be cleaner.

Lisa