Hi all,

I've thought about this kind of problem some weeks ago and figured out
that on this topic, what I wanted from PCA was simple: Exactly the same
as SUNWtlp was doing for me:

 - Bundle generation with frozen recommended set of patches
 - HTML Reports
 - Live Upgrade Friendly Bundle (with patch_order file and such)
   This way, you can simply use luupgrade
-s /var/tmp/bundle /var/tmp/bundle/patch_order

Theses were the first three feature I needed, amongst other that
SUNWtlp was offering.

For those who never seen SUNWtlp in action, it was a complete
perl-based patching framework used to work in very large enterprise
environment counting hundreds of servers. The principle was simple, a
cronjob with a big batch perl script was going to every server and
picks up the weekly explorer, extract it into TLP directory and then
create a ready-to-use bundle of patches with associated HTML report.

It was great and sufficient until SUN decided to decommission it in
favor of xVM ops center.

I've started myself to build a bunch of scripts to fulfill the feature
I listed above. I don't know if this could be of some interest for any
of you, but if it is, I've got nothing against publishing the code of
theses scripts and eventually maintain it.

To be clearer, I'll add a current output of what my scripts are doing...

Regards,

********************
$ ./cleanExplorers
[-] Removing explorer.82a91f35.uxhabsyc021-2010.06.19.01.00.tar.gz as it is
older than 60 days
[-] Removing explorer.8557b4a2.proatriusr02-2010.03.20.02.00.tar.gz as it is
older than 60 days
$
cp /tmp/explorer.847c9adf.uxvenusc012-2011.10.08.01.00.tar.gz
/pca/data/explorers/
$ ./extractExplorers
[-] Extracting ./explorer.8323e753.accatriu2oi11-2011.10.08.01.00.tar.gz
$ ./batchReport
[-] Generating report for accatriu2oi11...
[-] Generating report for accatriu2po11...
[-] Generating report for accatriudn04...
**SNIPPED**
$ ./pcaHost uxorionc012 -l missings
Using /pca/data/patchxrefdir/patchdiag.xref from Oct/18/11
Host: uxorionc012 (SunOS 5.10/Generic_142909-17/sparc/sun4u)
List: missings (66/10608)

Patch  IR   CR RSB Age Synopsis
------ -- - -- --- ---
118666 27 < 34 RS-   2 JavaSE 5.0: update 32 patch (equivalent to JDK 5.0u32)
**SNIPPED**

+ bins to generate bundles, pack everything up, etc...
********************

--
Thomas Gouverneur
 _____           _
| ____|___ _ __ (_)_  __
|  _| / __| '_ \| \ \/ /
| |___\__ \ |_) | |>  <
|_____|___/ .__/|_/_/\_\
 Network  |_|       SPRL
   TVA: BE6836018011

T: +32 498 23 00 40
W: http://espix.net
M: <tho...@espix.net>

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 11:30:20 -0500
"Becktold, Lisa M. (LARC-B7)[Chugach Federal Solutions, Inc.]"
<lisa.m.beckt...@nasa.gov> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have started using pca to patch our servers.    It's been working
> very well, and we'd like to refine our setup.
>
> Instead of each server accessing support.oracle.com, we'd like to set
> up an internal pca patch server.  The patch clients should access
> this internal patch server, and NOT go outside our internal network
> to download patches.
>
> I'm a bit confused about what should reside on that internal patch
> server.  Should I download the latest recommended patch cluster and
> associated patchdiag.xref file, and place it on the internal patch
> server?
>
> If the full recommended patch cluster is located on the patch server,
> then there the patch client doesn't need to go outside our internal
> network and access support.oracle.com, right?
>
> The patch server must either share the patch directory via NFS, or
> offer it via http or ftp, correct?
>
> Lisa
>
> Lisa Becktold
> System Administrator
> Chugach Federal Solutions, Inc.
> NASA Center for AeroSpace Information Contract
> Phone:       443 995 5805

  • [pca] Setting... Becktold, Lisa M. (LARC-B7)[Chugach Federal Solutions, Inc.]
    • Re: [pca... Charles.Witt.CTR
      • Re: ... Becktold, Lisa M. (LARC-B7)[Chugach Federal Solutions, Inc.]
        • ... Charles.Witt.CTR
        • ... Martin Paul
          • ... Thomas Gouverneur
      • Re: ... Roland Soderstrom
        • ... Glenn Satchell
          • ... Becktold, Lisa M. (LARC-B7)[Chugach Federal Solutions, Inc.]
    • Re: [pca... Thomas Gouverneur
    • Re: [pca... Thomas Gouverneur