I fully agree with the comments and thanks Jon for bringing it up.
We will work to address it.

Regards,
Jeff

On Mar 25, 2015, at 6:44 PM, Dhruv Dhody
<dhruv.i...@gmail.com<mailto:dhruv.i...@gmail.com>> wrote:

+1,  I agree with Jon.

Perhaps a new METRIC type for MSD?

Regards,
Dhruv

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 6:23 PM, Jonathan Hardwick
<jonathan.hardw...@metaswitch.com<mailto:jonathan.hardw...@metaswitch.com>>
wrote:
Hi Jeff

I just wanted to clarify the comment that I made at the mic today as we seemed
to be talking at cross-purposes.

The draft sets a maximum SID depth in the Open message, which effectively
creates an implicit constraint on all queries that are sent over the PCEP
session, such that returned paths must not have a SID stack depth greater than
the MSD.  I think this is wrong, and that the MSD should instead be sent as an
explicit constraint on each query.  Here is my reasoning.

In the PCE architecture it is wrong to assume that the PCC and the ingress
router are the same device.  There are at least two cases where it is not.

•         In some network management architectures, the PCC is a network
management tool.  The network management tool may have many ingress routers in
its jurisdiction, each with a different MSD, so it is not true to say that the
MSD is a constant for the PCC-PCE session.

•         In inter-domain routing there is PCE-PCE communication between
domains.  One of the PCEs plays the role of PCC and is acting on behalf of all
edge routers in its domain (or perhaps some domain further upstream).  Again,
the MSD is not constant on the PCE-PCE session.

I don’t think that we should rule either of these scenarios out of segment
routing, even if they are not the first scenarios that everyone is targeting.
At some point we will want to do them and we do not want to re-do the work that
we are doing today to make them work.

Best regards
Jon