From: Olivier Dugeon
<olivier.dug...@orange.com<mailto:olivier.dug...@orange.com>>
Date: Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 6:46 AM
To: Jonathan Hardwick
<jonathan.hardw...@metaswitch.com<mailto:jonathan.hardw...@metaswitch.com>>,
"rabah.gued...@orange.com<mailto:rabah.gued...@orange.com>"
<rabah.gued...@orange.com<mailto:rabah.gued...@orange.com>>
Cc:
"draft-ietf-pce-segment-rout...@tools.ietf.org<mailto:draft-ietf-pce-segment-rout...@tools.ietf.org>"

<draft-ietf-pce-segment-rout...@tools.ietf.org<mailto:draft-ietf-pce-segment-rout...@tools.ietf.org>>,
 "pce@ietf.org<mailto:pce@ietf.org>" <pce@ietf.org<mailto:pce@ietf.org>>, Jeff
Tantsura <jeff.tants...@ericsson.com<mailto:jeff.tants...@ericsson.com>>
Subject: Re: [Pce] Comment on draft-ietf-pce-segment-routing-01

Hello Jon,

Yes you agree. From the pure Segment Routing and MPLS point of view. Now,
looking to load balancing, it is quiet different. When you setup LAG or Load
Balancing, the router perform a hash on the packet header to determine on which
interface to send the packet. In general, the has allow a router to send all
packets that belongs to the same session goes to the same interface / path.
Now, some hardware limitation impose a limitation on the size of the label
stack in order to continue to operate the hash function on the IP header
located after the label stack. In the label stack is too huge, the hash
function will operate across the beginning of the IP header and the end of
label stack resulting on non optimal session segregation. In some case it could
not be acceptable and lead into problem from an operational point of view. For
example, it could cause some packets de-ordering (packets of the same session
not follow the same path) that could be not supported by some application e.g.
VoIP.

So, if for example a PE router accept a MSD of 10 labels and a P router accept
a MSD of 5 labels, the computed SR path must take into account that when
reaching the P router, le Segment packet must not have a label stack greater
than 5 (or 6 depending if the hash is perform before or after the POP
operation).

Hope this clarify our requests.

Regards

Olivier