On Saturday, February 18, 2006, at 01:46  PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Here's one for all the SCSI gurus. I apologize in advance for the length of
this post, but there's a lot of background info here.

My 9600/xlr8 G3 has two hard drives, a Fujitsu MXF3364LC and an IBM DXHS18Y, both connected via an Adapted 2940UW controller. The Fujitsu drive is my primary drive (I had to hack Apple Drive Setup in order to initialize it) and it mounts normally at startup. The IBM drive will not mount at startup but will mount with the aid of a SCSI utility (I normally use Mt. Everything) after the system has started up. Normally this would not be a problem, except that I now want to use the 9600 as a file server and need the second drive to mount
normally at startup.

I strongly suspect this is a termination issue, but I am at a loss here
because of the many jumper settings involved in this particular configuration. Here
are the particulars:

snip

Using Apple Drive Setup, I have selected "Auto mount on startup" for the IBM
drive. No effect.

snip

The IBM hard drive has the following jumpers:
ID3-set
ID2
ID1
ID0
KEY
AUTOSTART-set
ACTIVE TERM (Enable NAR mode for 68DF & 80 pin)
SP SYNCH
LED
WRITE PROT
DEL START
OPT BLOCK
DIS TI SY-set
DIS PAR
DIS UN A
DIS F/W NEG
TERM PWR EN (only 50 & 68 SE)

The IBM drive is also connected to the SCSI controller by means of a 68-80
pin adapter. It has the following jumpers:
ACTIVE LED
SP-SYNCH - set
DLYD START - set
RMT START - set
ID3 - set
ID2
ID1
ID0

I don't think it is a termination issue. I use server class drives frequently and it is normally Remote Start and Delayed start issue.

Try:
1) remove the DLYD Start jumper, you do not want the drive to delay startup. 2) remove the RMT Start jumper, you do not have anything in hardware that is sending a Remote Start signal.

As to the Drive being ID'd as SCSI 8, that is correct
IDs are base 2. A jumper on ID 3 means 2^3 which gives you 8.

Each ID equals the next power of 2, and a jumper is the equivalent of a 1 in that position in a binary number. If there is no number, then that is equal to a 0 in that position of the binary number. Here is a quick chart of ID numbers when the jumpers are on the listed pins.

SCSI ID         Jumpers on pins
0                       all off
1                       0
2                       1
3                       0,1
4                       2
5                       0,2
6                       1,2
7                       0,1,2
Note Regular SCSI stops here, wide scsi goes on
8                       3
9                       0,3
10                      1,3
11                      0,1,3
12                      2,3
13                      0,2,3
14                      1,2,3
15                      0,1,2,3

If you are still having troubles after 1) and 2) above, I would try removing the jumper on ID 3 on either the drive (preferred) or adapter, that might be confusing the scsi card.

Just remember, while IMNSHO, scsi is better than ata, it does involve frequent sacrifices to the gods to get it set up right and once you get it set up and working--DO NOT FUTZ WITH IT!!

HTH,
Len

 --> AOL users, remove "mailto:";
Send list messages to:   <mailto:pci-powermacs@mail.maclaunch.com>
To unsubscribe, email:   <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For digest mode, email:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subscription questions:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Archive:<http://www.mail-archive.com/pci-powermacs%40mail.maclaunch.com/>

iPod Accessories for Less
at 1-800-iPOD.COM
Fast Delivery, Low Price, Good Deal